Blog Archive

Jul 25, 2014

The pond in July


The backyard pond and all of the tropical plants and natural Midwest weeds that surround it are looking good, I think. It usually takes about two to three months for everything to fill in.


The pond sits behind our detached garage in a raised garden bed. It's about six feet long, three feet wide, two to three feet deep on the ends and about a foot deep in the middle. I've setup bricks in the water to support the two flower islands in the middle.


The water lily is still coming in and hasn't bloomed yet. It's been much bigger in the past, but it was taking over the far end of the pond last year, so I removed quite a bit of the root base. The leaves that are red in color are those that came up most recently.


Here is another view. You can see ferns at the far end, petunias in the island pots, and against the garage, and the red caladium more visible in earlier pics. The plants with the pink flowers in front are wild, or natural, and I leave them there as they help cover the liner and make the front of the pond more colorful. Not sure what they are. I need to get to know my weeds better.


As for fish, gold fish are all I'm keeping in there this year. I have some I bought as feeders this spring that have grown out to a nice size and a handful of fantails. You can just verily see some of them in this pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment