Blog Archive

Jun 27, 2014

Water changes on my other tanks


So on my smaller tanks, I do use a bailing method since it's not easy to drain them directly into the drainage pipe. I again use my water pump to empty the water into five gallon buckets. Usually I try for a weekly 20-40 percent water change on my 30s and 38.

I drain the water into the buckets then dump them down the drain or outside (I use the water on our vegetable garden and on some of our flowers in the spring and summer). I then use the pump again to move fresh water from the buckets back into the aquariums. With those tanks that are higher off the ground, gravity will take care of most of the work and the water will drain without the pump running once you get it started.


A quick video showing the pump putting fresh water back into a tank. It's not a perfect method but the pump does make life a lot easier. I used to hand bail with smaller buckets and cups. That took forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment