Blog Archive

Jun 8, 2014

Shipping and receiving fish


So this week I shipped fish for the first time and also received some new fish. I sent my two Cichlasoma Ornatum to the East Coast. A hobbyist who keeps Ornatum is going to try to get them to spawn with some fish he keeps.

It was a little stressful worrying about whether the fish would arrive there safely. I sent them through USPS to save a little money. They arrived in less than 24 hours, so I was pleased with the service. The fish made it.

I also received an assist from a local fish store. They put some oxygen in the bags and helped make sure I had them packed properly. Should have thought to take some pictures of the bagging process, but I was too stressed making sure everything was done properly. Maybe next time.


While the Ornatum were on the way to their new home, I was waiting on some Australoheros Oblongum that I ordered last week. They also arrived safely. Seven tiny fish! They're not even quite a inch long yet (pics above).

My hope is to get a nice female out of this bunch that I can pair with the male Oblongum that I already own.


Interesting side note on the Oblongum shipment. The person who spawned them and shipped them to me uses breathing bags. They're designed to let air into the bag to help the fish get enough oxygen while being shipped. They have a very unique feel to them. Sort of like a balloon before you blow it up, I guess.

You can learn more about the breather bags here:
http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/aquarium-pond-accessories-2/breathing-bags#suppliers!


No comments:

Post a Comment