Blog Archive

May 22, 2014

Gymnogeophagus Blue Neon


Some of my new Gymnogeophagus Blue Neons (aka Rhabdotus) have really been coloring up of late. This is why I was so anxious to keep this fish. I think they have beautiful coloring with all of those reds and blues.


This video makes it easier to see the colors on this particular fish. I have four in this 75 gallon and two more in a 30 gallon. I didn't realize just how much they would like the caves. They're swimming in and out of these clay pots quite a bit.


Some closer looks at the coloring on the fins and the back portion of the body.


As I've mentioned in previous posts, Gymnogeophagus are used to colder climates in their native habitat (Uruguay, I believe) and don't need a heater in their aquarium. From everything I've read, you're actually encouraged to let the water get cooler - 60 degrees (even lower, if possible) - in the winter time.

I'd really like to get some of these guys to spawn so I can see them color up to their full potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment